Sunday, February 22, 2015

Butler and Dietz

On p. 37 of her text, Judith Butler writes, “to call for social transformations in the name of women, we must also be part of a critical democratic project.” Briefly describe the kind of politics that each of the authors (Dietz, writing in 1987, and Butler, writing in 2004) calls for.  In what ways, if at all, are they advocating for a “feminist politics” — or calling for a new kind of feminist politics?


Dietz choses to focus her discourse, mainly regarding liberalism, on citizenship rights. I have always found citizenship a controversial topic – around the world. There are a few countries with very strict nationality laws where either a person cannot gain citizenship (regardless of the years lived in that respective country) or can gain citizenship after a multitude of years living within the country. However, it is important to note that although someone gains citizenship or is born with citizenship, it does not guarantee accessibility to everything. Dietz explains that, “a second tenet of liberal political thought is that society should ensure the freedom of all its members to realize their capabilities”. Thus, one must have a source of accessibility to reach these personal capabilities. It is evident that, although women born or are of United States descent or have gained nationality, they are not provided with the same resources as that of men. Regardless if we look at educational attainment statistics (public) , employment statistics (public), second-shift labor statistics (private) or personal views statistics (private), we can witness this ongoing lack of accessibility. I think the idea of citizenship is a perfect example of how one can be recognized by a society as a “part” (“I am a French citizen or I am an Ecuadorian citizen”) but can be shielded from actually living to one’s ability within that society that they are “a part of”. Feminist politics has allowed for society to become aware of the disadvantages of being a “citizen” but not being treated as a “citizen”. Does citizenship have any important regarding our identity? I have a friend who was born in Connecticut and raised by parents from Mississippi. She knows that she has United States citizenship but she doesn't relate or feel compelled to tell others that she is from the states. I think citizenship is a very important topic that can bring about varying opinions. I think access is absolutely important. 
Feminist politics or just the awareness of females within politics would better the world. Females are humans. (something that is relevant in Butler's work).
That's why human rights - on one hand could be seemingly wonderful as we're addressing the rights of all humans however on the other hand, which human is granted MORE of the benefits?Who decides WHICH human right is the most important?

1 comment:

  1. Malaika, your post stands out to me because I think we are on the same wavelength regarding citizenship and the implications of aligning feminist politics with that concept. I agree with the idea of aligning feminist politics with the concept of human rights because of the fact that women are humans who are entitled to certain rights and freedoms. I also think the argument in favor of citizenship can be problematic in practice. Immigrant rights, which is its own feminist issue, are stripped, belittled and ignored in the United States because undocumented immigrants lack the proper citizenship to be protected under US laws. Under the human rights argument, undocumented immigrants in the United States are not just characterized by their "illegal" status, but by the fact that they as humans, deserve basic rights that are not being afforded to them. Getting back to your post, I feel like the questions you pose about which humans are granted more benefits and who decides which human right is more important can be applied more directly to the concept of citizenship as opposed to human rights. Citizenship is inherently exclusive in nature because one must meet certain standards in order to become a citizen of a place, limiting the options for citizenship. For people like the Roma who may not belong to a single place, their rights are more easily protected by the concept of human rights as opposed to citizenship.

    ReplyDelete