Monday, April 6, 2015

Chapter 21 and Anti-Street Harassment Week

We learn in almost all intro-level courses the meaning of "public space". The "public space" is the man's haven; while the "private space" is the woman's haven. Sometimes I question whether or not both spaces are considerably man's haven. I think that this dichotomy reflects the current (and former) political foundation -- man's voice over woman's voice.

This upcoming week is "Anti-Street Harassment Week" in which various organizations discuss the complexities of street harassment. I would like to share a few thoughts pertaining to street harassment. Street harassment is a form of power (man over woman; perpetrator over victim), of maintenance of a patriarchal system, of disrespect of another's personal space, and of alienation over another. I, also, would like to acknowledge that street harassment can occur to both men and women; yet, most documented street harassment is towards women. Street harassment occurs in a public arena - streets, buses, taxis, etc.

A little anecdote: When I was studying in Costa Rica, I experienced street harassment multiple times per day. My host mother told me to ignore those who chose to spend their day harassing others. I questioned whether or not my silence served as a political voice. Is it possible to render change in silence? I was frustrated when I would hear someone whistle from a bus, cat-call from across the street, the list goes on. One evening, when my friends and I were walking out from a bar, a man began to cat-call directly at me -- I chose to ignore him, as my host mother told me to. However, this time, rather than re-directing his attention elsewhere, he came up behind me and pulled the strings from the back of my shirt. I was exposed involuntarily. Was silence the best way to combat street harassment?

2 comments:

  1. Malaika, I disagree that silence is a way for combating street harassment, on the other hand the behavior you describe is taught to young girls in Turkey as well.If you hear a cat call stay silent and keep on walking. A couple of years ago I got cat called in Istanbul because apparently the street vendor who could see the color of my bra through my shirt taught that I deserve to be cat called or dress up "that way" to be cat called. I decided to not take it any more so I walked towards him and told what he said is not okay and reminded him of the laws against cat call and the trouble he could encounter by doing so. After my speech the man who so proudly cat called me couldn't look me in the eye and said that he is sorry. I think after that day I decided to not stay silent wherever I am. There is an Amsterdam based initiative called Hollaback! they are very active in Turkey and what they propose I think is a constructive approach for combating street harassment. Hollaback's Mission: http://www.ihollaback.org/about/
    Thanks for bringing up this topic, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, also, have heard of Hollaback's approach! I love it. I think you are right in stating that silencing yourself from acknowledging a cat-call is problematic.

    ReplyDelete