Sunday, April 5, 2015
Chapter 20
I thought Chapter 20 was interesting for two reasons: 1) it is blatantly present at most tier 1 & 2 universities including Emory, and 2) it wasn't so much directly a discussion of feminist critique but more of a "big tent" discussion of how knowledge is being institutionally limited to those within the perceived normative group. I realize universities are a business, but at the same time, with over $7 billion in endowment funds, could Emory not afford to return a little bit more to it's liberal arts roots? I think there's always been an emphasis on pre-professional programs, and the implicit connotation that classes within the college are inherently easier to do well in because they are more opinion based than fact based. I really admire the program Stanford is implementing where if your family makes less than $125k, then you only have to pay $5k a year to cover room and board, and if your family makes less than $60k, you don't have to pay anything. But I also think it's interesting that at the same time Emory is closing the opportunities to those who don't have the money or want to pursue a liberal arts education, they are also profiting from and advertising based on the percentages of "others" that they either accept or enroll with. You never see Emory list the percentage of white males enrolled, but you always see the percentage of women, racial minorities, religious minorities, etc. So at the same time they're being limiting, they're also benefiting from the token few they do allow access for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also recognize Butler and Athanasiou's focus on the institutional limits of knowledge established by the university system, especially among elite schools. While Emory is a non-profit organization, I understand the frustrations of going to a liberal arts school with such a vast endowment that does not invest in the liberal arts. While I see the reasoning behind channeling more money into Medicine and Business, I feel like the Emory community as a whole will benefit from a stronger liberal arts foundation. In terms of Stanford's tuition assistance, is this because Stanford has a larger endowment or larger student body? I do not know much about that program, but I am interested in hearing how Stanford affords to do this.
ReplyDelete