When reading Butler and Athanasiou's pieces, the phrase "outside the logic of possession" struck me because it really seemed to connect back to Young and MacKinnon's work on gender binaries and Kant's idea of the original position and veil of ignorance (7). Essentially Butler and Athanasiou are arguing that dispossession shouldn't be thought of as a physical, set in time event that can be marked and measured, but more as a theoretical/ philosophical place that one is often cast to in order to achieve social dominance even if it manifests itself in physical social processes (similarly to cultural imperialism, oppression, etc). Often times, it seems like Athanasiou would argue that one does not even realize that they have been dispossessed. The idea of logic made me think of Young & MacKinnon's work and how, by using specific (almost) coded language, they are again advocating to operate outside of the patriarchically controlled language and information systems. It seems that in order to really equalize society beyond the property as a natural law and right, however, one would have to undergo a similar experiment as described by Kant because no one is willingly going to vote to be dispossessed. I don't know if I just didn't fully understand, but did Butler or Athanasiou have a similarl solution? It seems that Kant's idea, while hypothetically ideal, isn't very applicable in today's society.
Your analysis of Butler and Athanasiou's pieces helped me grasp the definition of dispossession. You also outline the relation between Young's article and this one much more clearly. Reading the assignment, I could see a relation, but it was not until I read you analysis that the connection was clear for me. Your question at the end is insightful. In my opinion, Butler and Athanasiou are advocating for a similar solution. However, due to the fact that I was not present at our class lecture on Monday, I may be completely off base.
ReplyDelete