Sunday, March 1, 2015
Kristeva's External versus Internal Revolt
The difference in the two revolts that Kristeva discusses seems to center around who is the recipient of the "revolt." In the old way of revolting, it was directed towards the external, which often manifested itself as a political or social challenging of " pre-established norms, values, and powers" (3). In the new revolt, Kristeva argues that the recipient is actually internal, a reflection almost philosophical in nature that seeks to restore the humanity and balance within the mind amiss the chaos, complexity, and white noise of the modern world. Kristeva seems to make the point that this new type of revolt is almost necessary and never ending: "Today, mental life knows that it will
only be saved if it gives itself the time and space of revolt: to break, to
remember, to re-do. From prayer to dialogue, through art and analysis, the
crucial event is always the great infinitesimal emancipation: to recommence
endlessly. Without it, all that globalization would have to do is to calculate
growth rates and genetic probabilities. Truths, including scientific ones, may
well be illusions, but they have the future in front of them. In contrast with
certainties and beliefs, permanent revolt is this questioning of the self, of
everything and of nothingness, which no longer seems to have any place to
occur" (3). Kristeva ties into this discussion the notion of femininity, arguing that it is the exact characteristics of femaleness that will allow the second type of revolt to take place sucessfully: "the female world allows me to suggest an alternative to a
robotizing and spectacular society that damages the culture of revolt: this
alternative is, quite simply, sensible intimacy. Possessing their passions and
sensibilities, some human beings nonetheless continue to ask themselves
questions. I am convinced that, after all the more or less promising projects
and slogans that were launched by feminist movements in the seventies, the
arrival of women on the front of the moral and social stage will have the
effect of revalorizing sensible experience, as an antidote to technical
calculation" (4). While I understand what she is trying to convey here, I take a little bit of an issue in that she is supporting the emotion/reason gender binary. I don't think what she is saying is necessarily untrue for many women, but I think to make it a woman's duty to bring intimacy back to culture is to label all women as wanting the same desires and reinforce Decartes' theory that women are meant to "safe keep" men's emotions while they access the public domain through their reason.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you analysis of internal revolt vs external revolt is very accurate and I also agree with the idea of Kristeva promoting the gendered emotion/reason dichotomy in a subtle way. As we discussed in class, rationality is based on historically "male" traits, which becomes problematic when societies value the ability to rationalize as a trait that makes one human. Kristeva does apply traditionally "feminine" qualities to the impact of the feminist movement on politics by saying that the rise of women on the "moral and social stage" will serve as an "antidote to technical calculation." I also have a problem with this because it again stereotypes women as emotional beings and it ignores the potential influence of non-binary or gender-queer individuals who do not have prescribed characteristics attached to their identity. I think that in this passage Kristeva simplifies the feminist movement as a battle for equal rights for men and women, but in doing so she ignores many of the nuanced arguments modern-day feminists make. Personally, I define feminism as a movement focused on dismantling the patriarchy, and achieving equal rights for all genders is only one aspect of this dismantling. The notion of femininity in the political sphere does not serve the feminist movement well if women are still restricted to traditional gender roles.
ReplyDeleteLillian,
ReplyDeleteThis was such a cool response! I never thought of care ethics and the responsibility of women to bring intimacy back to culture as controversial issues until now. Thank you for questioning why it's a woman's duty to bring intimacy back to culture. You also did a great job of explaining the two types of revolt in Kristeva's piece, I understand her argument much better now. The external/internal divergence of revolt is something that makes sense to me based on what I have studied and experienced in my life. I look forward to talking about the role of women in this new form of revolt, and the interesting way in which intimacy and chaos interact with each other in Kristeva's world.